Thursday 4 June 2020

#BlackLivesMatter


There is no escaping the current news concerning the protests about racial inequality or more specifically systemic racism sparked by the harrowing video of George Floyd, a black man being pinned to the ground by a white policeman which eventually led to his death.  #BlackLivesMatter is the trending hashtag.

I have read much on social media, the posts, the blogs, the comments especially from the Christian community – those who follow the Lord Jesus.


I am a white person, I do not suffer the racism I have seen and heard recently in that it does not impact upon my daily life as it is. 
Should I be silent? 
Does that mean I have no opinion? 
Does it mean I should not embroil myself in the ongoing situation? 
What can I do or what can I say?


I have no answers to some of those questions. 
I have no words.
I can offer nothing that will be adequate to comfort those who are suffering or words to quell the fears and anger of black men and women who do not have the privileges in life I have by virtue of where I was born.  
My opinion is just that -my opinion and no use to anyone. 

But what I do have is this, the words and comfort of the Lord Almighty.


This is what the Lord says to His people, to those who are oppressed, to those suffering racial inequality and systemic racism in their daily lives.  This is why I could not remain silent; why I will shout His words for they are mightier than any I have.


Micah 6:8

He has told you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, to love kindness, And to walk humbly with your God?

NB: Justice here includes privilege not only a formal decree

Proverbs 21:3

To do righteousness and justice is more desirable to the LORD than sacrifice.

Proverbs 31:9

Speak up, judge righteously, and defend the cause of the oppressed and needy

Jeremiah 22:3

This is what the LORD says: Administer justice and righteousness. Rescue the victim of robbery from the hand of his oppressor. Do no wrong or violence to the foreigner, the fatherless, or the widow. Do not shed innocent blood in this place.

Zechariah 7:9

"This is what the LORD of Hosts says: 'Administer true justice. Show loving devotion and compassion to one another.

Matthew 22:39 and Mark 12:31

Love your neighbour as yourself



The Lord cares, He is the answer, He is a refuge, He is your strength. He is your avenger.



Psalm 9:7-10 

But the LORD reigns forever, executing judgment from his throne. He will judge the world with justice and rule the nations with fairness. The LORD is a shelter for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble. Those who know your name trust in you, for you, O LORD, do not abandon those who search for you.

Psalm 103:5-6 

Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle’s. The LORD executeth righteousness and judgment for all that are oppressed.

1 Peter 5:7

 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

Isaiah 41:10

 Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.

Psalm 145:18

The LORD is close to all who call on him, yes, to all who call on him in truth.

Psalm 34:18

The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

Psalm 62:8

Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us.



I have heard the cry from some that we should not say #BlackLivesMatter because #AllLivesMatter. It is true that ALL lives matter, it is true that we were created equally before God, it is true that God does not treat us more or less favourably based on colour or culture. God does see colour, He created us that way. 
Sadly mankind created bias and discrimination. We live in a fallen world, sin exists, hate exists, racism exists, oppression exists. 
Call it out! Use your privilege to change things for those who are oppressed. “Speak up” for truth and righteousness. In this instance the systemic racism that exists in many places against our brothers and sister who are black. I must act and speak against racism at every turn becasue the Lord demands it of me. What I can do I have not yet worked out, but do something I must. Now is not the time to be silent and ignore this hoping it will go away soon.
#BlackLivesMatter



Amanda Mair

No comments:

Post a Comment